June 17, 2011

I'm So Giddy

When I arrived at college, I was moving into the dorms, the very first thing I remember was this loud girl screaming and carrying a floor lamp. She had short hair with a thick bleached blonde streak at the front wearing Laguna flip flops. That was Heather. I remember some girls that were already tired of their parents helping them move in and wanted to go eat at 'The Jap Tree.' I couldn't afford to go eat anywhere. I didn't have parents helping me move in. I had one of my friends helping me. That was Micah.  They all had nice cars, I didn't even have a car. These girls had cell phones. I had a calling card I bought at Sam's. I was out of my elements. I was scared. I was scared at what college had in store for me, the two-a-days I had starting the next day, and if I would ever really fit in with these people.


Little did I know.


You talk about a crazy 5 years of college. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would in a heart beat! We partied, crammed for exams, went to practice, partied even harder, played our games and earned that scholarship, and partied hard! I'm not gonna lie, we were club rats. The difference in Panola and MSU was that at Panola we were country pumpkins that would go muddin' and completely make our own fun every night.

It never crossed my mind back then when I became friends with all my volleyball teammates that we would one day all be going back to where we came from. I mean it makes sense. We are all being recruited across the US to play volleyball. Not everybody lives in Fort Worth Texas, Brandi! My Kelli would be going back to Austin, get married, and live in Oklahoma.  Heather would marry, join the air force, and live in Japan. Erin would marry a pilot in the air force and become a nomad like Heather. Amanda would go back to Chicago and start her coaching/writing career. I did have one of my teammates stay here in Fort Worth, Amber.  We are the Hazbinz.


One of my dearest friends, Amanda, will be visiting me in less than two weeks to party and float the Guadalupe River with me. I can't wait to pick her up at the airport and bring her back to The Blackyard and talk and laugh. Don't get me wrong, I still stay in touch with all my old teammates, but when I get to see one AND party with them, I get really giddy.


Here's to RT'11...it's gonna be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment