June 13, 2011

Time is Money!

I slept in 'til 6:00am this morning! I made Jerry's lunch. I piddled around on the computer until Bailey woke up. I vacuumed the house. I started the dishwasher. I got laundry going. I swept the garage. Now I'm deciding what's the next productive thing I can do.  

I'm going to blame my early birdness on my Dad. I don't think I ever slept past 8:00am growing up before he would open the door and crow like a rooster and I don't mean the sweet 'kakadoodledo' sound. "Time to get up, roll over laundry" was the most common phrase he would wake me with. Jerry looked at me funny the first time I said 'roll over laundry.' Apparently that's not a term used by all. Back in my middle school days, I worked with my Dad a few summers laying glass block. 1.) I like being busy 2.) I hated being home 3.) I liked hanging with my Dad and trying to impress him with my mad mortar making skills 4.) I liked making money.  I made $5 bucks a day. It added up over the summer. I would make my Dad sign my little book each day where I would write the date, how many hours it took us, what we did that day, and had him initial under the $5. Apparently I didn't trust my Dad. We got up at 6:00am each morning, sometimes earlier, and we would be at the shop by 6:45 loading block, mortar, scaffold if needed, shims, spacers, plastic, wheel barrow, and other tools to get the job done. We never made a trip back to the shop, so we always took plenty of everything. On special occasions my Dad would swing by the donut shop. I would make our lunches and force him to take a break to eat his lunch. We would be at the job site before 7:30am, no matter what job or how far it was. I'm not kidding, sometimes we would get to the job before daylight. I remember those summers being hot and a lot of hard work. The loading and unloading 50lb bags of mortar, carrying boxes of glass block, mixing mortar until my arms felt like they were going to fall off, cleaning glass block until I had sores on the tips of my fingers made me a mentally and physically stronger person. I didn't know it back then, but now, I appreciate the work ethic my father instilled in me.

Which leads me to this, we have people fixing our fence and we are approaching 10am now. I think a good time to start a days work is no later than 8:00am, especially people that can control their own hours. I understand people that have no control. I worked at Home Depot for two years and my hours were 12-9pm all the time, partly because the scheduler hated me, but I was just buying my time. However,  if you do have control over your job, don't you want to hit it early, get the day over with, get the job done in a timely manner, and get paid quicker?  Hmm. Just a thought.

Time to roll over laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment