January 27, 2011

Dig or Die

There are 31 days until the Cowtown Marathon and honestly I get a little more scared with each day. I mean what's the big deal Brandi? If you tucker out, just walk. Anybody can walk. Who cares? WRONG. People that run never think about walking. That's their worst fear. They try to beat their mile time or win their age division, I'm convinced runners have the worst OCD, but I'm not trying to do either of those.

First, I don't want to die. Second, I would really like to not freeze to death, since I hate cold weather with a passion. Last, I don't want to give up and start walking. Last year, I did the half marathon (13.1 miles) for many reasons. I didn't think I had time to train for a full, I didn't want to fail and have an awful time. I did very well at the half marathon even getting first in my division. So I decided I would do the full marathon this year. I decided this year was the year to do it because I'm 30 dangit and I'm not getting any younger/faster, and because Jerry and I are considering trying for another rug rat this summer after our river trip. So, this very well could be my first and last marathon.

26.2 miles is a lot of running! My goal time is 4 hours and 15 minutes. I would love anything under 4 hours! I know  what you're thinking- 4 hours of running, are you kidding me?!! It's crazy. I know once I get there and the adrenaline kicks in I will be good to go at least to mile 20 and Jerry and Bailey being at a few mile markers will keep me motivated.  The anxiety up til the race is a killer, especially the week of the race. Did I eat enough? Did I eat too much? Did I drink enough water? Did I drink too much water? Did I get enough rest?  Training for a marathon is as much mental anguish as it is phyical anguish.

It reminds me of my college volleyball days when I was scared to go to practice, but once it was over I was good. Yeah, it sucked both mentally and physcially during the practice, but it was so rewarding in the end at what you had accomplished.  I'm going to compare this race to a drill back in college called "Dig or Die". Am I going to quit and 'die' so I can start back over at zero or am I going to give it everything I have and 'dig' the ball so I can get done with the drill quicker? 

The best part of it all, I'm running in this marathon so I can put a  26.2 sticker on my car. I know most untrained eyes don't even notice them, but I can spot them a mile away. Yep, it's all for a sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment