February 03, 2011

Pasta Thursday

That's right people it's Pasta Thursday. I thought I would share my favorite pasta dish I make. It is super easy and cheap.


Penne Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
1  box of penne pasta
1 8.5 jar of sun-dried tomatoes w/olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 packed cup of basil leaves
1/2 cup of grated parmesan
salt & freshly ground black pepper

As you can tell from my ingredients that I don't use grated parmesan cheese because I think it smells and tastes like feet. I use an Italian blend of cheeses, including mozzarella, as Giada would say 'mots-ah-le-la', provolone, romano, asiago, and parmeasan. It comes in a nice bag from Wal*Mart. I cheat on my garlic too, don't judge. I buy my basil at the store too, because I killed mine this summer. Apparently it needs water, not just sunlight.

Alright...boil that freakin water and salt it good once it comes to a roarin' boil. Add your pasta. Boil for 10 minutes and it will be perfectly "al dente". What the crap does that word mean? It means firm but not too hard. The stage where pasta is not under-cooked where it is hard or over-cooked where it is too soft and gummy as I call it. Firm to bite, whatever you get it now.
Meanwhile, blend the sun-dried tomatoes and their oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil in a food processor and blend until all is finely chopped.  VOILA....you made pesto!
Add the pesto, pasta, and cheese into a bowl and fold it all together. I always add a little of the pasta water to it for more moisture because I usually have it staying warm in the oven until My Lover gets home.

I'm not a pasta fan and Italian food is my least favorite food on earth, but this is very good and it makes enough for 4. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You can eat this people. Don't even worry about carbs. Carbs are okay in moderation. Your body needs carbs.

    ReplyDelete